Sunday 30 October 2011

Home Made Pizza Recipe

Do your family like fast food but you don't want them eating junk? I have a 20 month old son who typically loves the food I won't let him eat. I discovered recently that he adores pizza but of course I certainly didn't want him eating those frozen ones you get as you really don't know what is in them but I always thought pizza was so difficult to make. I was talking to my sister-in-law about it and she gave me this recipe for home made pizza and I was a bit nervous but said I would give it a try to see what it was like.Boy was I pleasantly surprised. Firstly at how easy it was and secondly about how much tastier it was. Even my husband (who likes his pizza) said he wouldn't buy any more pizza and wanted the home made one in future. I like that fact that you can pick your own toppings and can put plenty of them on and not be trying to spread bits around the pizza. My son raves about them now and is always shouting for pizza.The recipe below makes two generous sized pizzas but I roll them over very very thin so if you like thicker bases maybe you should increase the quantities. The first time I made it I thought I hadn't nearly enough dough but there really is quite an amount when you roll it out. Don't be put off by the fact you have to leave it for an hour. I usually make the dough around lunchtime when I put my son down for his sleep and then take it out of the hot press that evening when I am ready to roll it out. Also the mixture was too wet so I just kept adding bits of flour until it was about right and it didn't affect it in any way. So here's the recipe, I have no idea where my sister-in-law got the recipe but it's a really nice one.Ingredients:8oz strong plan white flour1 tsp (level) salt1 1/2 tsp yeast3 - 4 fluid oz hand hot water1/4 tsp sugar1 egg1 tsp olive oilTomato puree or passata and cheese followed by whatever toppings you requireMethod:Put water in basin and whisk in sugar and yeast. Leave for 15 minutes until a frothy head forms. Sift the flour and salt together and pour into yeast along with the egg (which should be beaten beforehand). Mix to a dough, you may need to add some more water (or in my case a little more flour). You should end up with a soft pliable dough.Knead for 10 minutes. Put into a bowl and put the tsp of olive oil on your hands and put all around the dough. Put back in the bowl and cover with cling film. Put in a hot place for 1 hour. When you are ready to roll out the dough remove it from where it has been and knead for a further 5 minutes before rolling out.Simply add your toppings and cook in a hot oven (about 220 Celsius) for 15 - 20 minutes. I also like to add some herbs on top for a little extra flavour but this is entirely up to you, just experiment and have fun.